Spiral Studio Workshops
- Feltmaking – basic, includes colour blending and design
- Fleece tapestry technique
- Two-shaft weaving
- Inkle braid weaving
- Introduction to weaving – basic skills, up to six-shaft
- Specific techniques for various projects, includes nuno and hatmaking
Tuition offered in the following:
- Hand dyeing using natural dyes and synthetic dyes
- Free-style weaving, creating and designing exciting colourful fabrics
- Spinning yarns for weaving
- Crochet with an emphasis on using colour creatively
Half Day Classes:
- Flax Weaving For Beginners
- Expanding Your Creative Response: Telling Your Own Story
Full Day Classes
- The Art Of Paper Making
- Tapestry By Design: Sharpen and Expand on Design Ideas
- Free Form Tapestry Weaving
Taught to knit at the age of four by a very patient grandma I have been a passionate knitter ever since. I have been spinning, weaving and dyeing since the mid 1970s and also felt and embroider. Early retirement from teaching secondary school English gave me the opportunity to devote myself to woolcraft fulltime. I was a co-manager of Wool Yarns and Fibres in the Arts Centre in Christchurch. I have held the Society positions of Canterbury Area Delegate, and National Education Convenor.
This three-hour class aims to teach knitters how to give their handcrafted garments a professional finish. Participants learn different methods of casting on and off, grafting, perfect buttonholes, clever picking up techniques etc. A full set of notes is included.
A three-hour class. Learn how to knit garments with no sewing up – ideal for handspun and hand dyed yarns. Participants practise on a hat. A full set of notes is included.
I have been weaving for almost 30 years and knitting from the age of 4 – even longer! These days I am happiest when seated at a loom, although I still knit as a hobby. Some years ago I went to Unitec to complete a Diploma of Design in the then existing Craft School. The three years then extended to four and I emerged with a Design Degree eager to set up my own studio. I now split my time between weaving and teaching and love every minute.
I’ve been concentrating on weaving flat weave floor rugs for the last three or four years, but in the last year I’ve been playing around again with small pieces of fabric. I often weave on my eight-shaft jack loom in the morning and on the rug loom in the afternoon.
- Design – 8 x two-hour lessons, or 2 x six-hour lessons
- Drawing for Non Drawers
- Drawing as a Springboard for Design
- Using Abstraction to Help Design